Congratulations to all those children who have completed their Summer Reading Club Reading Record! (If you haven’t finished yet, don’t worry. You have until school starts to finish.)
Here is a photo of a few of the children who received their certificate of completion and their medal at our SRC Celebrations yesterday. (Sorry to those of you who also finished yesterday but didn’t make it into the photo. I’m so pleased with you all!)
We had a wonderful time with mad scientist Dr. Zeik (a.k.a. Roxy). She captivated her audience with her incredible scientific knowledge and her truly crazy experiments.
Storytime in the Park is a success! My first Storytime in the Park only had 45 people in attendance, but numbers have increased exponentially. I had 130 people attend the storytime at TRUE in the Trees Park!
I only have 3 Storytime in the Park events left. Here’s the schedule:
Wednesday, July 30 at Marine Peace Park at 10:30
Wednesday, August 6 at Jackson Park in North Canoe (or North Canoe Elementary school if Jackson Park is still under construction) at 10:30
Wednesday, August 13 at Jackson Park (or Canoe Beach if Jackson Park is still not ready) at 10:30.
If it rains on any of those days, storytime will be held at the Salmon Arm library instead.
Hope to see you there!
Lego activities are always VERY popular, and this Summer Reading Club program was no exception. The kids were given the theme “Funny Business” and then were told to start creating. Here’s what they came up with…
Even though registration is low this year, we’ve had a good turn out to our events. One of the most popular event, so far, was Uncle Chris the Clown. He was wonderful and spent over 30 minutes after the show making balloon animals for the kids.
It’s that time of year, again. Time for Summer Reading Club! Registration begins Tuesday, June 24 and continues throughout the summer. You can register your child by either coming into the library, calling 250-832-6161 and asking to speak with the person at the information desk or Ardie, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or online HERE.
Here’s the list of activities for this year:
Week 1. Pun & Games
- Thursday, July 3 at 10:00-12:00 – SRC Launch: Registration and Retro Games. Drop-in.
- Saturday, July 5 at 10:30 – Pun & Games: Stories, Activities & Games. Drop-in.
Week 2. Funny People
- Tuesday, July 8 at 1:00- Enjoy magic, jokes and balloon animals with Uncle Chris the Clown. Drop-in.
- Thursday, July 10 at 11:00 – Whose Line Is It Anyways?: Take part in hilarious Improv Games. Drop-in.
- Saturday, July 12 at 10:30 – Clowning Around: Stories, Activities & Games. Drop-in.
Week 3. Tales with a Twist
- Tuesday, July 15 at 3:00- Funny Business Origami with Eiko. *Registration Required. Limit of 25.
- Thursday, July 17 at 11:00 – Funny Fractured Fairy Tales: Stories, Activities & Games. Drop-in.
Week 4. Reading on the Floor Laughing
- Tuesday, July 22 at 3:00 – Lego Building #1: Funny Business. *Registration Required. Limit of 25. (Lego provided)
- Thursday, July 24 at 11:00 – Lego Building #2: Funny Business. *Registration Required. Limit of 25. (Lego provided)
- Saturday, July 26 at 10:30 – Reading on the Floor Laughing: Stories, Activities &Games. Drop-in.
Week 5. That’s Gross!
- Thursday, July 31 at 1:00 – Mad Scientist & Crazy Experiments. *Registration Required. Limit of 30.
- Saturday, August 2 at 10:30 – That’s Gross: Stories, Activities & Games. Drop-in.
Week 6. Funny Pages
- Thursday, August 7 at 11:00 – Funny Pages: Stories, Activities & Games. Drop-in.
- Saturday, August 9 at 1:00 – Comic Drawing Workshop with Sean Ridgway, the Animation Department Head of the Centre for Arts and Technology. *Registration Required. Limit of 25.
Week 7. Something Funny is Going on Here
- Tuesday, August 12 at 11:00 – Pretty Tricky: Illusions, Brainteasers and Magic. Drop-in.
- Wednesday, August 13 at 1:00 – SRC Celebration with Magician Leif David! Drop-in.
Contests & Draws
- Book Draw at every program for kids registered in SRC.
- Weekly Book Draws for all registered kids.
- Reading Record Draw- Submit your name into the draw for every 7 days of reading for a chance to win a grand prize!
- Create a digital booktrailer based on a book you read this summer. Booktrailers must be submitted to Ardie by 5:00pm on Saturday, August 16th. The creator of the best booktrailer wins three Passbooks to the Salmar Theatres.
- Write a short story based around the theme Funny Business. Short stories must be submitted to Ardie by 5:00pm on Saturday, August 16th. The writer of the best short story wins three Passbooks to the Salmar Theatres.